Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reporting on Reports

I'll never forget the very first 'report' I wrote for school. It was on elephants. My mother helped me use our new green and white set of World Book Encyclopedias to craft a two page discourse on the two types of elephants - African and Asian.

Over the years, no matter how complicated the assignments became, each research paper, project or essay still began with a look into the trusty green and white World Book. If the topic had a long entry, there was a handy outline at the back that could serve as a model for the outline of whatever I was writing.

Next time your child has a report, take advantage of the good, basic knowledge that is contained in an encyclopedia. The core knowledge is presented simply and clearly, giving your child a great foundation on which to build! There are online encyclopedias that you can use, but I still prefer to use a hard copy. Believe it or not, we used the same set of mid-60's World Books until my aunt gave me her brown and white mid-70's edition a couple years back. It's amazing: according to this new set, man has actually landed on the moon!
____________________________________________________
Visit our website at http://www.goaskmom.com.

No comments: