Monday, April 20, 2009

From the Archives...A Homework Nightmare

Welcome to this week's Ounce of Ketchup! I'll be blunt. I hope your week has been better than ours. Without going into the gory details, well…let's just do Thursday night.

After we discovered that two of the boys had projects due Friday involving poster board, my husband volunteered to go buy extra. He came home with three science boards. Thankfully, we had just enough poster board in our supply closet. Somebody remind me to buy more before the next crisis occurs.

Ron had two projects due that he hadn't started (she types with clenched teeth). One was a collage. My husband and I were up after midnight helping him find and print pictures. Ron was still doing the other project on the way to school Friday morning.

For once, thankfully, Joe had a very light night. Although he had a major test Friday, we had already studied because he thought the test was Thursday! So we reviewed a bit, and read a chapter of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Then there was Mike, who rarely asks for help. He was stuck on the principles of electricity. Voltage and amperes and ohms. (Oh my!) After an hour of chapter review, he felt confident enough to do his homework, and I felt confident enough to plug in an appliance.

Finally there was Ash. (The one without ADHD!) He had to reach his Accelerated Reader goal by Friday, which meant had to completely read one book and type a book report on another. PLUS he had not completed a project correctly and the teacher sent it home for him to redo. He got the reading and the report done, but spent three hours in class to next day finishing the project. His teacher has more patience with him than I do - I think I would have given him a zero!

And that was just one night…Weeks like this that made me start "Who Put the Ketchup in the Medicine Cabinet?" Weeks like this make me wonder what business I have giving hints about how to keep kids focused, organized, encouraged, and successful! Nonetheless, below you will find your weekly dose.

Until next week, remember: You're not the only one!

PS If you're looking for ways to Wake Up from the Homework Nightmare - read how we figured it out at http://www.goaskmom.com/homework.

----------------------------------------------
Visit our website at http://www.goaskmom.com.

No comments: